Tennis - indoor and outdoor
The Park Club has some of the best tennis facilities in London. Most recently, we opened our fabulous indoor Sports Dome for indoor tennis and a whole new era of possibilities. The dome covers the four newly laid astroturf tennis courts immediately adjacent to the Club building. These are heated throughout the autumn and winter with overhead lighting enabling play for the majority of the opening hours of the Club. With 7 further all weather astroturf courts, 2 grass courts, 4 tarmacadum courts and 4 mini tennis courts, combined with 3 to 5 tennis pros subject to the season, we are able to provide adults and children with fantastic opportunities to get involved in the sport. There are no court fees for tennis at the Club and membership starts from £99 per month.
Shane Hurst - Head Tennis Coach
(Senior Performance Coach, First Aid)
Shane is an incredibly experienced Tennis player with a wide knowledge of the game, garnered from playing with the best whilst travelling through America, Germany and Portugal. Shane has played and beaten some of the best players the world has to offer including Lleyton Hewitt, Bob Bryan, James Blake & Mike Bryan, all of whom have been ranked highly in the world. Shane also has a wealth of coaching experience.
He teaches a wide range of players from first timers to the very best in the game. He has played & coached with John McEnroe, Pat Rafter and John Newcombe to name but a few.
Bob Hyde(CCA, HSE Child First Aid)
Bob Hyde was born in Acton and played many sports at a high level at the original Acton Cricket and Acton Lawn Tennis Club.
He specialised at tennis in his 20’s working at his technique he qualified as a P.T.R. professional, R.P.T. Professional and in 2006 becoming a LTA CCA level 4 coach. He went on to represent Wales in 2007 at Veteran’s County level.
With over 20 years coaching experience he is known as ‘The Tennis Doctor’ with a cure for all your tennis ailments.
Using a graduated method, he will enable you to achieve bio mechanically sound strokes.
James Cox (CCA, First Aid)
James is a fully licensed LTA Club Coach and for the last 7 years has been teaching people of all ages and abilities. James has worked extensively at both county and recreational levels in Jersey, which is where he is from. He is now helping The Park Club to expand on our tennis programme.
James has always played at a competitive level and has represented the Channel Islands at both junior and senior levels and also captained Leeds Metropolitan University.
James can be booked for either individual or group lessons and also takes several new classes recently added to our junior and adult programmes.
Bridie Lynch (CCA Performance)
Bridie, a former Junior Welsh Champion and South Wales County Player, started her coaching career 8 years ago at Cardiff Lawn Tennis Club. She is an LTA fully licensed coach.
Bridie took up the position of head coach at Llantrisant Tennis Club in 2010 and brought many innovative ideas to the South Wales tennis scene. Specializing In Mini Tennis to performance players, Bridie is keen to make Tennis "Fun".
Bridie is a sports "all rounder" having had success in Basketball, Surfing, Tae-Kwon-Do and Golf.
Mark Hedley is the newest addition to the TPC tennis coaches. He hails from New Zealand.
He was highly ranked as a NZ Junior, competed in Junior World ITF events and trained with the likes of Ryan Harrison at the John Newcombe Tennis Ranch.
He has been coaching over the last 6 years as well as studying and playing tennis in both in New Zealand and America.
He's been involved in sport throughout his life and competed to a high level in Rugby, Swimming, Squash and Cycling.
Studying left him with two degrees; one in Sports and leisure focusing on Sports psychology, personal training and nutrition and a Commercial Pilots License.
Mark is looking forward to working with The Park Club and fellow tennis players.
There are several key aspects of Park Club Tennis, which are outlined below:
Throughout the week we offer a host of Drill and Social classes. Classes take part in the Morning, afternoon and Evening in an attempt to provide at least one class for members to attend. Shane, Bob, James and Bridie our highly qualified coaches, take the classes and can be found in the adult bar immediately prior to the class commencing as a meeting point. The emphasis here is on social tennis.
The Club provides a host of opportunities to compete against Park Club members of all levels as well as external competitions too. Download the Park Club Tennis Events Calendar HERE.
With our association to the Lawn Tennis Association, Park Club members who register as British Tennis Members can be ranked both within and outside of the Club. The on-line BOX LEAGUES best demonstrate this. Additionally, there are regular tournaments including our main Park Club Tennis Tournament which can be followed here.
Grand Slam Series Tournaments & Final
After 3 years of Grand Slam Series tournaments – supported by Porsche Centre West London, we're confident that the 2013 series will be as hotly contested as ever. These tournaments are open to both Men and Women and are played through the year coinciding with the 4 majors. The top 8 players who accumulate the most points through the series will then be invited to the Masters Final to decide the Grand Slam Series Winner.
The Grand Slam Tournaments take place on Friday mornings and dates are published well in advance in our Tennis Calendar, it's well worth taking a day off work to get involved. Not only does great prestige come with taking the title but also a fabulous gift from the Porsche Design Driver’s Selection.
The four tennis titles, the Australian, French, US and Wimbledon, were selected as being the biggest in tennis because, at the time they were the main international championships held in the only four countries who had won the Davis Cup.
Below, see a picture taken on the US Grand Slam day on 7 September. (Pictured below)
To view a list of final results for the Grand Slam series so far please click HERE
The Park Club Championships 2012
1. Matches will be the best of three tie-break sets.
2. Matches to be played on the Artificial Grass Courts unless all players agree to play on another surface.
3. All players must book the tennis courts and bring their own tennis balls.
4. Matches to be played by the date set otherwise one or all players may be withdrawn from the tournament.
5. All results should be emailed to me by the match winner before the match deadline.
6. You can view all draws online.
7. The tournament will run a plate draw, which means in each event you will play at least two matches.
8. Please pay your £10 entry fee at reception before the start of your first match.
9. I will email you details of your opponent/s so you can arrange your next match directly with each other.
10. Matches to be played by the following dates:
- First Round 21st May
- Second Round 28th May
- Quarter Finals 11th June
- Semi-Finals 25th June
- Finals will be played on Sunday 1st July.
Finals will be played on this day and you must keep the whole day free as your match could be scheduled at any point in the day.
View the Draw online HERE.
The finals have been played and results are in!
Photo from Finals day above. Follow this link for results, click HERE.
Each year the club will host off site visits to major tennis events such as Queens (Stella Artois), Wembley Super Set and The Royal Albert Hall Masters.
All of the classes on our tennis timetable, either social or drills, will be suited to a certain level of player. If you require our coaches to assess your suitability for one of our classes please come along to a class that you believe matches your ability level. Our coach will then be able to tell you if this is the right class for you and, if not, what class you should be attending . We do try to ensure that there are classes that everybody can come along to, both daytime and evening, that will best match your ability and therefore increase your satisfaction when taking part.
On-line box league
Our ON-LINE Box Leagues commenced in September 2009. Made up exclusively of Club members this mixed singles league will allow members to challenge each other and improve their ranking within the club. For details on how to get involved please contact Shane Hurst.
You can now follow the results of the various Club Tennis Tournaments and our brand new box league as they progress.
The idea is that once you have been allocated to a given box, then you will play your matches against fellow members. Matches can be set up by email (which will remain anonymous) and league members will be given 3 months to play their matches. Each match will produce a winner who will be allocated 1 point and the loser zero points. At the end of the period, to build movement and dynamism to the league, the overall winner of the box will go up 2 boxes and the bottom position player down two boxes. The runner up will climb one box and the bottom player fall one box.
Specific prizes will be awarded on a quarterly basis for those players who have participated in the league.
Online tennis updates
Our tennis pros will be regularly updating information online. Look out for coaching promotions, various tennis articles and tournament information, as well as box league results in the articles section of this website, and via our twitter link and Facebook.
Adult Sports Bar
A tennis notice board is available in the adult bar, providing information on all up and coming events and tennis related activities.
Tennis Court Etiquette
For the safety and enjoyment of all members please observe the following
- Do not walk across courts when play is in progress.
- Return stray balls to neighbouring courts as soon as points are completed.
- Leave the court promptly when reserved time has expired and others a re waiting to play.
- High standards of conduct are expected at all times.
- Appropriate tennis attire, including proper tennis shoes with non-marking soles must be worn. Shirts are required.
- If a reserved court is not occupied 15 minutes after the scheduled starting time, the court will be assigned to waiting players on a first come, first served basis.
- Young children may NOT be courtside while parents play.
- During grass court season courts can be booked 6pm – 9pm weekdays and 10am – 9pm weekends.
- Grass courts must not be used when wet.
- Strictly no ball games other than tennis.
Terms and conditions for booking indoor tennis courts
As and when members are informed that the indoor courts are available for booking the following terms and conditions will be implemented.
- Indoor tennis courts may be booked up to 7 days in advance by calling the bookings desk on 020 8743 4321 or in person. Telephone bookings will be available from 9am to 9pm each day. Telephone bookings will not be available outside of these times.
- Members may book indoor courts at times their membership permits them access to the Club.
- Indoor courts will be bookable on the hour. A member may book a maximum of one indoor court per day for a maximum period of 2 hours.
- No booking fee will be charged for indoor courts; however a £20 cancellation fee will be levied if a booking is cancelled with less than 24 hours notice unless a medical note is provided. A ‘no-show’ will also incur a fee of £20.
- All members must report to the reception desk on arrival at the Club or to the bookings desk prior to going on to court to confirm their attendance and use of the court. Failure to do so could result in the booking being recorded as a ‘no-show’ thereby incurring a £20 ‘no-show’ fee.
- If a member accrues 3 ‘no-shows’ in any 12 month period they will be suspended from making indoor court bookings for a month.
- The member who has made the booking must be present on court at the time it is booked for play. Court bookings cannot be transferred to other members without being updated on the Club’s booking system. Cancellation fees may apply as outlined above.
- The indoor courts will be prioritised for Young Members (under 16 years of age) between 4pm to 7pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 11am on Saturdays’. During these times bookings will only be available for all other membership categories 24 hours in advance.
- If a member does not show up within 15 minutes of the start of the court booking time, the court will be made available for any member to use on a ‘walk-on’ basis in accordance with their terms and conditions of membership access. To book a ‘walk-on’ court a member will report to the main reception or bookings desk and enquire about any courts that are available and if so, the court will be booked in their name.
- All members must respect the Indoor Tennis Courts Etiquette displayed in and around the Indoor Courts.
The above terms and conditions will be reviewed from time to time to take in to consideration member feedback, usage trends and are at all times subject to Management’s discretion.
Individual lessons will be available to all members throughout the year along with professional hitters. Please contact the bookings desk for more information.
Re-stringing at The Park Club - NEW
Resident coach Shane Hurst offers this service to Park Club members. Prices are as follows:
- Basic Strings: £25
- Intermediate Strings: £30
- Performance Strings: £35
Need a New Tennis Racket?
Do you want power or control ? Test Rackets now available for adults and juniors to sample.
Contact coach Bob Hyde 07957 384582 for a free demo. New Rackets start at £75.00.
Call us today to arrange a personal guided tour:
020 8740 4599