Blog fb36c8a8a0a2de830b7dd1a4def763ccd287e8514410b780a732fdecbb5b55d6

Cookie Girl Chronicles

The Easter holidays passed in a flurry of activity when will I learn that the word 'holiday' implies some kind of respite from the madness of everyday life? We began by visiting Powderham castle in Exeter where my older daughter is working. It is an astonishingly beautiful part of the world. I can't visit without daydreaming a life there before waking up to the fact it is just too far away. If I can ever prise my husband away from london it will be to Norfolk as that's where we grew up. I sometimes think we would have moved years ago if it wasn't for the park club. All that green space for the kids to run around in. And to be able to float on your back in a heated outdoor pool in central London is definitely worth staying for. 

On Good Friday I hosted a cupcake decorating area for the family day at Lingfield park races. It was hugely popular and great fun to do. It was a 4hr round trip though and the next morning we headed to my mother in laws house in Norfolk. This would normally have been our queue to relax. However, not this Easter. Dream Guy’s bro, quite uncharacteristically, had taken it upon himself to arrange his mums belated 70th birthday surprise celebration. He had booked a house for the night for the whole family and a group of close friends for Easter Sunday! So the next day we had to drive for an hour and a half to stay somewhere for 24hrs before driving back to his mums. It was utter madness but we went along with it. (The whole thing was planned whilst I was in Mexico otherwise I could have talked some sense into him!). Anyway when we got to the house all was forgiven. Butley Priory was absolutely stunning and in the prettiest grounds. DGs mum was suitably surprised and absolutely overwhelmed with the whole experience. The little ones (and some of the lucky bigger ones) loved the novelty of new grounds to forage for their Easter baskets in. As usual desperate to catch the Easter Bunny chocolate handed. Then we all pitched in to create a delectable salmon super, drank way to much Prosecco and danced into the early hrs. The next morning we feasted on freshly baked croissant and browsed the papers whilst DG serenaded us with Eric Sate at the piano. I really felt at that point that at least I had ‘a single moments rest’, like it was a home from home. Unfortunately it was soon time to go. I'm sure we will return. Next time for at least 48hrs! We briefly returned to my mother in laws house before trundling back to London in desperate need of more rest. Roll on half term!